How long will it take and what will it cost?
Every individual is unique, but my clients generally see some improvement in the first few sessions. This isn't surprising because brief therapy has been shown to be as effective as traditional long term therapy.1 Research shows standard CBT counselling can last approximately 6 to 20 sessions, per issue, with weekly sessions (longer if two or three weeks between sessions).2,3 Why such a range? Certain issues take longer than others. For example relationship concerns and habits/addictions generally take longer to work through than depression, trauma, PTSD & anxiety. Some clients want to work on multiple issues which extends therapy time. Clients that are motivated to change and do their homework do recover faster. Also, the amount of homework done between sessions will greatly affect recovery times. And lastly, how willing the client is to give up all the benefits to their current mindset. Yes, there are benefits that can't be ignored.
My average number of sessions with clients is 6-12 weeks per issue/goal using 75 min sessions. For 50 min sessions it's about 4-6 months per issue/goal. Clients that are willing to do 1 or 2 hours of homework every day are often closer to the lesser number. Recovery/goal success tends to be proportional. Some clients prefer the slower approach while others want to get it over with. I’m flexible to either.
How much does a session cost?
Counselling rate for short 50 min sessions is $195, for my standard 75min, highly recommend for faster recovery sessions, $230. And for 110 min intensive sessions it is $295.The longer session will save you money, I can almost guarantee it (see "how long is a session"). Counselling goes through the Feeling Good Institute, click here.
For life coaching rates please see calendar below.
Do you have lower fee options?
I do offer low fee / sliding scale rates but there is a 2-4 week wait list. In addition, extra homework is required to qualify for lower fee rates. IE: client must read both "Feeling Great" and "When Panic Attacks" before our first session together. I also offer FREE 3 hour intensives see below.
I do offer sliding scale to current clients whose insurance runs out or if finances change.
How does a sliding scale work? Simple, you decide what you can afford and let me know your budget. I'll design a schedule to fit that. It could be every two weeks or shorter sessions, or even a free 3 hour intensive to get the ball rolling see below. Let me know during consultation if this is something you need to take advantage of.
Do you ever offer free sessions?
Yes, I offer FREE 3 hour intensives for those with low income if you've read one of David's books. Mention you are interested in this option during our 15 min free consultation. Please only choose this option if you've are ready to put in a lot of homework and effort. These sessions are limited to depression or anxiety concerns and the client must read both "Feeling Great" and "When Panic Attacks" before our first session together. We generally do a double session and a couple shorter follow up sessions after that..
How long is a session?
My standard session is 75 mins. I do have 50 min sessions for "lunch hour" and double intensive sessions for those who'd like to fast track healing. I estimate 90% of my clients have 3-5x faster recovery with 75 min or 110 min sessions (or better yet an intensive with 2 back to back 75 min sessions). There is something very powerful about hitting your negative thoughts fast and hard.
The shorter 50 min sessions are better for those clients that do a lot of work on their own but need a little help and guidance or for clients who want an accountability partner.
What are your polices?
- By booking online you agree to communication via email, phone or text.
- It is vital you are in a safe, distraction free location. You must have high speed internet and a web camera.
- Unlike life coaching, counselling has legal limitations. If you are not in an area that is covered by my license, I may be able to provide life coaching.
- Your information is kept confidential unless there is threat of suicide, violence to others, or current child/elder abuse.
- Video sessions have limitations such as disconnection, technology glitches, etc.
- No refunds on missed sessions! Refunds allowed with 48 hours notice. Rescheduling up to 12 hours before session.
- As a person with Fibromyalgia I can have a flare up and need to reschedule the morning of our appointment.
If you have any questions please email me: email@example.com
Life Coaching Prices and Calendar
1. Gingerich, W. J. (Review published: 2013.). Effectiveness of solution-focused brief therapy: a systematic qualitative review of controlled outcome studies. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK138422/
2. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-cbt/how-it-works/.
3. Cognitive behavioral therapy. (2019, March 16). Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/about/pac-20384610.